What data does UNU collect and how does UNU collect and use it?
UNU collects the following data from you when you visit and browse our website through the use of server logs, cookies, and similar technologies:
- Non-personally identifiable data – e.g. IP address, browser information, and the operating system you are using, as well as navigational information such as the files you download, the pages you visit, and the dates/times of those visits are collected.
UNU collects that data to:
- Analyse trends, administer our website, track user movements and gather aggregated broadly defined geographic information;
- Email you with products you have signed up for or registered for, or to respond to your feedback or enquiry as necessary;
- Improve website user experience;
- Shape content to better meet the needs of website users; and
- Detect, prevent and remediate technical issues
UNU also collects the following information from you when you voluntarily sign up to our newsletter, register for an event, or submit feedback or enquiries on our Contact Us page:
- Personally identifiable data – e.g. name, email address, organization or affiliation (if provided), title/prefix (if provided).
UNU may share aggregated contact, demographic and other data with institutes and programmes in the UNU system.
Subject to certain security measures under the UNU Policy on Personal Data Protection, UNU shares personally identifiable data with third-party service providers or processors to the extent necessary for the proper functioning and performance of our website or to provide any applicable service.
How does UNU store your data?
UNU stores non-personally identifiable data we collect about you on our third-party hosting provider within the web server and separate from website files. Access to the backend of the web server and its storage system is restricted and monitored.
How long will UNU store your data?
UNU will retain your data for the period of time necessary for the proper functioning and performance of our website or to provide any applicable service, provided that no other legitimate and fair basis of data processing persists under the UNU Policy on Personal Data Protection.
What are your data protection rights?
Subject to certain exemptions under the UNU Policy on Personal Data Protection (see paragraphs 14 and 21 of the UNU Policy on Personal Data Protection), every user of our website is entitled to the following:
The right to access and verification – You have the right to request access to, and verification of accuracy of, your information.
The right to rectification – You have the right to request correction or completion of inaccurate information.
The right to erasure – You have the right to request erasure of personal data when it is no longer used for legitimate purposes.
UNU uses first and third-party cookies in a range of ways to improve your experience on our website, including:
- Understanding how you use our website;
- Optimize user website journeys;
- Improve website performance; and
- Achieve high availability
What types of cookies does UNU use?
Our website uses the following types of cookies:
- Necessary cookies – to ensure all digital features and services of our website work correctly. These cookies are required to ensure functionality, security, high availability and accessibility.
- Functionality cookies – to recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences.
- Performance cookies – to understand how you interact with our website by tracking visits and traffic sources. These cookies assist us to improve accessibility and gather information in a way that does not directly identify you.
- Advertising cookies – UNU uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device and your IP address. UNU sometimes shares limited aspects of this data with third parties for advertising purposes. This means that when you visit another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on our website.
How to manage cookies
You are free to decline cookies if your browser permits, however, certain website features may not function as a result.
Links to other websites
This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by our website. Our website contains links to other sites. Please note that UNU is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. We encourage users to be aware when they leave our website, and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information.
UNU’s Privileges and Immunities
In accordance with Article XI.1 of the UNU Charter, UNU enjoys the status, privileges and immunities provided in Articles 104 and 105 of the UN Charter and other international agreements and United Nations resolutions relating to the status, privileges, and immunities of the Organization. Pursuant thereto, the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations (General Convention), applies to UNU. Under the General Convention, UNU enjoys certain privileges and immunities that are necessary for the fulfillment of its purposes and for the independent exercise of its functions. Nothing in this privacy statement shall be deemed to be a waiver, express or implied, of the privileges and immunities of UNU under international law.
Notification of changes
UNU will post any changes to its privacy statement on this page. This privacy statement was last updated in November 2021.
Rules when using our website
By using our website, you understand that all information and content made available on, or submitted to, our website is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. This may include various UNU personnel, consultants, and advisers to UNU who prepared the work and who do not necessarily represent the views of the United Nations or UNU.
You acknowledge that all information and content provided on our website are provided “as is”, without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. UNU does not make any representations or warranties about including, without limitation, the accuracy, integrity, or quality of the content and information made available on our website.
Further, UNU does not make any representations or warranties that:
- our website will be made available at any specific time or from any specific geographical location;
- access to our website will be continuous or uninterrupted; or
- our website will be accessible or optimized on all browsers, computers, tablets, phones or viewing platforms.
UNU reserves the right to suspend access to all or part of our website for any reason, including business or operational reasons, such as improving the appearance or functionality of our website, updating content, periodic maintenance, or to resolve any issues that UNU becomes aware of.
Under no circumstances is UNU liable in any way for any content including, but not limited to, any infringing content, any errors or omissions in content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of content posted, emailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via our website.
UNU does not guarantee that our website does not contain viruses or other malicious software. UNU will not be responsible for any bugs or viruses on our website, any such software that might be transferred to you from our website, or any consequences which the presence or operation of such programs may have.
You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of our website, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of such content. Under no circumstances shall UNU be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages, even if UNU has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Country and area nomenclature
The designations employed and the presentation of material on our website do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of UNU concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. The term “country” as used in this material also refers, as appropriate, to territories or areas.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links and references to third-party websites. Linked sites are not under the control of UNU and UNU is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. UNU provides these links only for convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply the endorsement of the linked site by UNU.
Any dispute, controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this Agreement, or the breach, termination or invalidity hereof, or to the use of our website by you or any content available therein, shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Arbitration Rules then in force. The decisions of the arbitral tribunal shall be based on general principles of international commercial law. The arbitral tribunal shall have no authority to award punitive damages. The parties herein shall be bound by any arbitration award rendered as a result of such arbitration as the final adjudication of any such dispute. The language of any such proceedings shall be English.
Nothing in or relating to the Agreement shall be deemed a waiver, express or implied, of the privileges and immunities of the United Nations and UNU accorded to them under international law.
Notification of changes
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, the personal data we hold on you, or you would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, please contact us here.